This Wasn't How I Planned It!

The sunset from our house isn't too bad

 At the beginning of January, I had a nice schedule set out which described a weekly routine of runs; there were some faster ones, some long slow ones and some getting to grips with steep slopes. I also had a plan for strength and conditioning exercises. A newly acquired bike turbo meant that I could build up my lung capacity in our conservatory, while avoiding the rain and watching YouTube videos. 

Then I got a virus. It might have been Covid, it might have been flu or it may have been something else entirely. After about ten days, I started to improve and was looking forward to getting back to running; losing two weeks training is a pain, but not too serious. Then I started coughing a bit more, and I developed a fever. The coughing was so bad that I couldn't sleep and I felt pretty wretched. I finally got an appointment with our GP who told me I had pneumonia and he gave me a course of antibiotics.

I sort of thought that that was that. The antibiotics cleared up the infection in a few days and I expected to be putting my running shoes on in pretty short order. Oh no! Over two weeks on and I'm still really tired, Short walks are fine, but I don't have a lot of energy. I'm hoping to start running some short distances in the next few days, but we'll have to see how that goes. As spring starts to come to life, I'm desperate to get out in the hills, not to mention having to get fit enough for the summer shenanigans, but everyone tells me that I can't push too hard, or I'll set my recovery back significantly. 

Hey ho, I'm starting to look at some autumn events to set my sights on.

Comments