Why Do I Run Ultras?

 I sometimes get asked why I run ultra-marathons. 



It's a perfectly sensible question. Running silly distances in hilly places isn't everyone's idea of fun. It involves a huge commitment and - to be honest - at times it really hurts. So why?

To be honest, there are all sorts of reasons, so let me list a few.

I love the outdoors. Spending a day running in the hills brings me a huge amount of pleasure. It isn't particularly complicated. When I say this, some people will ask why I don't just walk on the hills rather than running. The answer to that one is simple; I can and I do. I love hill walking, I also love sitting outside of our tent on a summer's evening with a book and a glass of wine enjoying the view. Enjoyment of the outdoors doesn't have to involve physical activity. Just because I enjoy one form of activity, it doesn't mean that I can't enjoy others. Running brings a different sort of pleasure to walking or just lazing around soaking up the vibe - I love all of it.

It is true that I could just go out and run ultra-marathon type distances without taking part in organised events. However, that would mean that I'd have to forgo the regular check points which supply water and snacks - having to carry all the water you need for a 40 mile run would be a bit of a pain. I've done it in the past, and will do it again, but events make life just a little bit easier.

I like to push myself. I'm not particularly competitive (unless I'm playing Scrabble), but I love to see what I'm capable of. I spend most of my life staring at a screen and getting out to run a silly distance makes a wonderful change to my routine.

I love being with running people. OK, I'm an introvert and I'd rather be on the hills on my own. But there is something lovely about being other ultra-runners. It is a wonderfully supportive community and the elite racing snakes are always encouraging of the slow coaches at the back (though, we slow-coaches do get more value for our race fees, because we spend longer on the hills than others). It's one of the reasons I love to volunteer at races as well as run them. Encouraging people as they come through the checkpoints is a great thing to do.

However, the real reason that I run ultra-marathons is that I can - but one day, I won't be able to anymore. I'm sixty two, which puts me in the upper age bracket for people who do this sort of thing. I've got wonderful support from Sue and super-physio Iain, but with the best will in the world, I'm not as young and fit as I once was. Recovery from injury, or even just recovery from long races takes longer than it would for someone half my age. I hope to stay fit for as long as I can, but one day, injury, increasing frailty  or an inability to meet the cut-off times will put a stop to me spending fifteen hours on my feet shuffling over the hills. I'd hate to think that I hadn't made the best of my time before then. 

This post is partly inspired by one of my Run 1000 Miles friends, whose ultra-running days have been halted at the young age of 74 by injury. This one's for you, Chuck. 

“The fleeting hour of life of those who love the hills is quickly spent, but the hills are eternal. Always there will be the lonely ridge, the dancing beck, the silent forest; always there will be the exhilaration of the summits. These are for the seeking, and those who seek and find while there is still time will be blessed both in mind and body.” Alfred Wainwright

Comments