I Look To The Hills

 A while ago, I was running up into the Pennines, listening to the Wild Ginger Running podcast, where Claire was interviewing someone called John Kynaston a runner, blogger and YouTuber. Something about John was familiar and I realised that though I didn't know him well, our paths had crossed on a number of occasions and we had lots of friends in common, not to mention similar life experiences. 

I soon subscribed to John's podcast, Run To The Hills, which I discovered to be the best running podcast out there. I was particularly inspired and moved by a recent episode in which John interviewed Donnie Campbell, who ran all of the Scottish Munros in 31 days, cycling and kayaking between them. 

The story of how Donnie achieved this is remarkable, but what really makes the podcast stand comes late on when Donnie and John gently and graciously share how their Christian faith motivates them, sustains them, but ultimately gives them something far more important in their lives than endurance sport. 


I was planning to share this video anyway, but the news that John went to be with Jesus this week has prompted me to get on and do so today. 

I love running and I love the mountains; I'm at my happiest out in the hills, but there is much so more to life.

I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1

RIP John. 

Comments